-
May 3rd, 2004, 07:21 PM
#1
Inactive Member
Hi everyone
This is for anyone who's interested.
What can I say that hasn?t already been said about ?The Tension and the Spark??
Along with others I had an amazing day on Saturday and it has taken me until now to gather my thoughts together. Until this morning as crazy as it may sound, I couldn?t remember a lot of what Darren had said. Then my head space seemed to clear and I could remember lines from the songs, melodies came back as well as lots of things that Darren said to us.
It is an album which is totally different to anything we?ve heard from Darren before, either with SG or solo. It is totally different to Spin although there was one track which reminded me in part to Heart Attack.
I only wrote a few notes on each track as I wanted to experience the album without thinking of too many other things while it was playing.
From the first beats of the intro to Track 1 I knew this was going to be one amazing album. It?s powerful, sad, emotive, passionate, electronic but also melodic. Darren has gone through a painful process and has opened his veins to us on this album. It is a dark album in a lot of ways but there are some very upbeat tracks as well and I wanted to get up and boogie in a few of them. Some tracks made me want to cry with him, they were so sad and personal but the album ends up with some songs of hope. His voice gels so well with the electronics, it?s just so well done.
There are a few tracks which make you want to move in time to the music and I found it difficult to sit still. Looking over at Maggz standing over one side, I noticed she was doing the same and looking round briefly I noticed others doing the same. There are some songs which would go down well in the clubs I feel. The lyrics are very sad and very deep but they blend beautifully with the music. As long as people disassociate their heads from what Darren?s done in the past. I don?t mean us as fans but the record buying public who will possibly not see him as an upbeat artist at all.
As to the tracks, Track 1 is a beautiful, electro but melodic. It has what sound like strings at the beginning and end but I think they are electronic. Track 2 is very dancey, with a bit of distortion to Darren?s voice and I wrote down that I thought this would make a great single. Track 4 I have to say I am not sure about. I think I need to listen to it more. Track 5 was beautiful. The lyrics are very sad. The song reminded me in parts of LION and there is a sound like the sea at the end. It made me want to cry. Track 6 I feel would go down well in the clubs because it has a great beat. Track 7 has very strong words. It?s a sad song but brilliantly done. Track 8 I wasn?t sure about. Track 9 I thought would go down well in the clubs because it has a great beat. Track 10 is a great song. Darren sings of hope here. Track 11 I feel would make a great single because it is very upbeat. I couldn?t keep still. Track 12 is very smooth. Track 13 I wasn?t sure of. It reminded me of an old Beatles song but I can?t for the life of me remember which one.
There are a few tracks I will need to listen to more than once. It is an album I can?t wait to own, if that makes sense. I can?t wait to listen to it in the privacy of my own space and just listen to the beautiful lyrics. Before Saturday I wasn?t sure I was going to like this album but it is so beautifully done not just by Darren?s voice and lyrics but also by Robert?s contribution. I felt they complemented each other.
After we?d heard the album we had a session headed by Leonie and Maggz on how to best promote this album. Claire (CeeCee) had given Leonie the petition in the hope that Darren will do a signing. Fingers crossed on that one because Leonie seemed impressed. We were told the album won?t be out until August/September with a single coming out in July. Shame about the timing I feel. Obviously we wall want the album out now, especially having heard it. To me it seems a long time after the single is released to have to wait for the album but I got the impression it is all down to Sony.
After a break for pizza, some cheese biscuits or a drink of water or orange we took or seats again to wait for Darren. He came in to clapping from all of us. He was dressed from head to toe in black. He always looks so slight in real life. There were lots of flashing cameras for several minutes until we all settled down to listen to what the man himself had to say. This is a person who has been in pain for several years. He told us that while making the album he had had therapy which had helped. For someone with so much talent I am always amazed how much self doubt Darren has. During the break I?d actually asked Leonie if Darren was happy and she said, he was. I hope so. He is an amazing talent. He gives us all so much and deserves to find the happiness I feel he is searching for.
He told us that some of the songs on the album are more about a spiritual journey than love related. I plucked up courage to ask him about the DVD and he said it is still being edited. He explained why it was taking so long in that it is not just one concert as S & C was but taken from 21(?) concerts along with other footage. After the last question a birthday pressie from the Street Team was presented to him. It was an Interactive Yoda with a lightsabre. He was thrilled although he seemed quite thrilled with the wrapping paper before he?d even seen the present. He is a very funny man.
Then we all queued up for photos with Darren and when my turn came I gave him a little pressie and card that I?d got for him. He thanked me and told me I was really sweet. He signed the promo photo and we posed for the photo to be taken, his arm was round my shoulders and my arm was round his waist. He thought the pic had been taken but when he asked Sharon (who was taking the pics) whether she?d taken it already we found out she hadn?t. So I put my arm round his waist again and he put his arm back round my shoulders. After the photo I gave him a hug and he laughed and said something like ?we?ll remember this moment in years to come?. I walked away in a daze. He is wonderful, so handsome, so normal, so lovely to talk to.
I spoke to Robert who was standing at the back of the room. He was very sweet, very quietly spoken and he asked if I liked the album. I told him I loved it and he seemed really pleased. After photos with him it was time to go.
As we came out of the studios we spoke to the lucky people in the queue waiting to go in for the 5.00 session. Several of us went to the local pub where we spent the rest of the evening eating, drinking and reliving our day?s experience.
I'm sure there will be other things I'll remember in the next few days but I feel I've rambled enough for one day [img]smile.gif[/img]
Joyce
xx
-
May 3rd, 2004, 07:31 PM
#2
Angelgirl
Guest
Great review, I liked the detail you put in.
Thanks [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
May 4th, 2004, 04:52 AM
#3
Inactive Member
Hi Joyce!
Thank you so much for posting your experience here [img]smile.gif[/img] I loved reading what you felt about everything. I felt like I was right there with you.
I'm so glad you got to talk with Darren and get to hold him not once, but twice [img]biggrin.gif[/img]
-
May 4th, 2004, 07:38 AM
#4
DarrensPassion
Guest
Joyce hun, I loved your review and your account of the whole day [img]smile.gif[/img] It was a very special experience wasn't it? I'm so glad you also had your moment with Darren, he's always so kind and gracious and makes time for each and every person.
I don't know about you but I'm still having trouble with getting back to real life, reality sucks [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Janie xx
-
May 4th, 2004, 12:45 PM
#5
Twizzle
Guest
I'm glad that you had a fab time Joyce. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
May 4th, 2004, 04:33 PM
#6
Inactive Member
That was great to read Joyce. . [img]smile.gif[/img]
Janie, it is a bit hard to get back to reality. isn't it. [img]smile.gif[/img]
-
May 4th, 2004, 07:40 PM
#7
Lainbrain
Guest
Thank you Joyce, I really love hearing all peoples experiences at the LP
-
May 6th, 2004, 01:50 PM
#8
BBD
Guest
Great review, I really enjoyed reading it [img]smile.gif[/img]
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks